Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Day of Renewal

As we reflect on the past year and look forward to the next, I am enjoying sitting by the proverbial fire with my favorite fella and enjoying a gift from a dear friend, a snifter of Islay Single Scotch Malt Whiskey.  With its well regarded peet smoked aroma only possible from this small but rarefied island, can't make you but a bit wistful to be Scottish or at least have a better understanding of Auld Lang Syne.




The little research I did indicates that our favorite tune on New Year's Eve is based on a poem by Robert Burns in 1788.  I won't bore you with more details as it is all well summarized elsewhere.

What does interest me, is the sentiment which I have to admit I have only a vague idea as to its meaning.    The premise basically begs the question if whether it is OK to forget times gone by. 

As a designer, I am always looking forward to what is next and what is new.  However, the romantic in me is fond of the past and all it's flaws, enhancements, and general degradation into various shades of rose.

Islay Scotch has been distilled in the same manner and arguably in the same location for over three hundred years.  Which leads you to the insurmountable argument that no, not only can we not forget the past, old friendships, or anything we experience but we must embrace it, celebrate it, and probably be making a conscious effort in our daily life to improve it. 



I would be lying if I didn't admit that my favorite version of the tune is from Mairi Campbell and David Francis featured in the first Sex in the City.  So to all of you that I hold near and dear here's a toast to good health, improving the past, improving the relationships in our life and the promise of wonderful 2011. 

Bye for now.
CG


No comments:

Post a Comment